NNEDV & Soft Surroundings
About The Partnership
For Giving Tuesday 2019, the National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV) has teamed up with Soft Surroundings on a “buy one, give one” program to spread awareness about domestic violence and support survivors this holiday season. For every Snuggle Up Throw purchased in-store and online on Tuesday, December 3, Soft Surroundings will donate a brand-new Snuggle Up Throw to a survivor of domestic violence through NNEDV’s network of state coalitions and local programs nationwide.
What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is a pattern of coercive, controlling behavior that can include physical abuse, emotional or psychological abuse, sexual abuse, or financial abuse. Some abusers are able to exert complete control over a victim’s every action without ever using violence or only using subtle threats of violence. All types of abuse are devastating to victims.
Domestic violence is a pervasive, life-threatening crime that affects millions of individuals across the United States regardless of age, economic status, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, or education level.
High-profile cases of domestic violence will attract headlines, but thousands of people experience domestic abuse every day. They come from all walks of life. In a 24-hour survey, NNEDV found that U.S. domestic violence shelters and programs served 74,823 victims and answered 19,459 crisis hotline calls in one day alone.
It is important for survivors to know that the abuse is not their fault, and that they are not alone. Help is available to those who are experiencing domestic violence. For help and assistance call the U.S. National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
- DV FAQs
- Red Flags of Abuse
- Find state-specific information in NNEDV’s Domestic Violence Counts Census
How You Can Help
When you get involved, you can make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of survivors affected by domestic violence each day.
Purchase a Snuggle Up Throw on Tuesday, December 3
- For every Snuggle Up Throw purchased in-store and online on Tuesday, December 3, Soft Surroundings will donate a brand-new Snuggle Up Throw to a survivor of domestic violence through NNEDV’s network of state coalitions and their local programs nationwide.
Make a Donation to Support Survivors
- This holiday season, you can give the gift of hope and help! Throughout the year, NNEDV helps ensure that millions of domestic violence survivors find the help they need.
- Together, we can create a world where every home is a safe home. Make your gift today.
Talk to Your Loved Ones
- Start a conversation today. Simply by talking about domestic violence in a supportive manner, you can help erase the stigma. Download our 10 Tips to Have an Informed Conversation about Domestic Violence.
- Suggest a book for your book club. NNEDV’s book club, Reader with a Cause, has plenty of suggestions – many with discussion guides ready to go! You can also join our virtual book club on Goodreads to join these conversations today.
- Host a #DVMovieNight. Check out our Pinterest board for movie ideas and use our Movie Night Conversation Guide to talk about the themes from the movie.
- Sign up for email from NNEDV: NNEDV.org/SignUp
- Follow NNEDV on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram
Download our Coloring Pages
- Dogs Against Domestic Violence
- Frogs for Financial Empowerment
- Sloths for Safety
- Rabbits for Respect
- …and more
Find all this and more in our Get Involved Toolkit.