Join us for #GiveNNEDV: A Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Challenge
Suit up gladiators, we need your help.
Did you know that on a single day 12,197 unmet requests for domestic violence services left many in danger? This translates to over 500 requests per hour that went unmet due to lack of resources. This is unacceptable, but together, we can make a difference.
We are calling on you to be a voice for survivors by starting your own peer-to-peer fundraiser on Facebook! In recognition of the approximately 500 unmet requests for domestic violence services per hour, we challenge you to raise $500 to take a stand against abuse. If you raise $500 or more, you have the chance to win giveaways, including Kerry Washington’s Purple Purse! Winners will be announced Tuesday, May 30, 2017.
You can make a difference. Consider setting up a fundraising page today in honor of your mom for Mother’s Day, for your birthday, or simply because this is an important cause to you.
Haven’t participated in a peer-to-peer fundraising challenge before? Learn more about how to participate in the #GiveNNEDV Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Challenge below:
How do I set up my fundraiser?
- Login to Facebook and Like NNEDV: http://facebook.com/NNEDV
- Go HERE to set up your fundraiser: https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers/nnedv
- Click Create a Fundraiser.
- Set your goal amount – this is the amount of money that you’re trying to raise for NNEDV. (If you raise $500 or more, you have the chance to win giveaways, including Kerry Washington’s Purple Purse!)
- Set your end date for Thursday, May 25, 2017 – this is the final day of NNEDV’s Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Challenge.
- Share it! Sharing is caring: ask your friends & family to help you reach your goal. Post about your fundraiser using #GiveNNEDV.
- Email NNEDV a link to your #GiveNNEDV fundraising page at: dev [at] NNEDV [dot] org for a chance to win giveaways.
What is the Purple Purse? How does that relate to domestic violence?
The Purple Purse was designed by Kerry Washington in partnership with The Allstate Foundation. As she explains, “a purse is a powerful symbol for economic independence. We use that purse to raise awareness and also to raise money.”
Financial abuse is one of the most common forms of domestic violence; 99% of domestic violence victims experience it. Yet, it is also one of the least talked about or understood forms of violence. Financial abuse is one of the most powerful methods of keeping a survivor trapped and deeply diminishes the victim’s ability to stay safe after leaving an abuser. Learn more about financial abuse here: http://NNEDV.org/resources/ejresources/about-financial-abuse.html
The Purple Purse is intended to help raise awareness about this devastating form of domestic violence and empower survivors to move from short-term safety to long-term stability. For more than a decade, NNEDV’s Economic Justice project has worked to address financial abuse in partnership with The Allstate Foundation. Together, we developed the Moving Ahead Through Financial Management curriculum, which provides information and tools to combat the effects of financial abuse. Learn more here: http://NNEDV.org/EJ and download the curriculum here: http://nnedv.org/resources/ejresources/ejcurriculum.html
How do I win the Purple Purse or other giveaways?
Enter NNEDV’s Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Challenge by following the directions above. Anyone who raises $500 or more has the chance to win giveaways, including Kerry Washington’s Purple Purse.
Once you have set-up your fundraiser, email NNEDV a link to your #GiveNNEDV fundraising page at: dev [at] NNEDV [dot] org. Winners will be notified via email. Please remember to check your email on Tuesday, May 30!
How do I ask my friends & family to help support my fundraiser?
We know that asking friends and family to support a fundraiser can be scary, so we’ve created a few tools and resources to make it easier:
- Share your fundraiser on your favorite social media platforms! Your friends are already on Facebook – ask them to donate while browsing their newsfeed. Here are few caption ideas:
- Ending domestic violence takes each one of us. Help me meet my fundraising goal to support @NNEDV! #GiveNNEDV [insert link to your fundraising page]
- Suit up, gladiators! Olivia Pope needs our help: DYK 500 times per hour, a survivor is told “no” when they ask for help. That’s WAY too many – donate now to support my fundraiser for @NNEDV & help end domestic violence. [insert link to your fundraising page]
- 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. Support survivors by donating to my #GiveNNEDV page! [insert link to your fundraising page]
- On average, three women are killed each day by a current or former partner in the US. We can end domestic violence together. Please give what you can to my #GiveNNEDV fundraiser! [insert link to your fundraising page]
- Help me reach my goal! Give what you can to my fundraiser to help end domestic violence! #GiveNNEDV [insert link to your fundraising page]
- Did you know that on a single day 12,197 unmet requests for domestic violence services left many in danger? Help me end domestic violence! Please give what you can to my #GiveNNEDV fundraiser today! [insert link to your fundraising page]
- Domestic violence is all too common. We need to work together to end it – I’ve created a fundraising page to support @NNEDV. Join me & #GiveNNEDV today: [insert link to your fundraising page]
- Are you ready for the ultimate challenge? Join my fundraiser for @NNEDV and donate $1 for each time something listed happens on tonight’s episode of #Scandal. Together, we can #endDV! Link to my fundraiser is in my profile. #GiveNNEDV
- Send a personal email! Consider sending your family and friends an email explaining why you’re raising money for NNEDV. Here is a sample email that you can update and send:
Subject: Help me end violence!
Dear friends and family,
You may or may not know this, but I am a supporter of the National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV). They are a social change organization that is dedicated to creating a social, political, and economic environment in which violence against women no longer exists. NNEDV is a leading voice against violence that helps keep “ending domestic violence” on the national agenda.
In just one day, 12,197 unmet requests for domestic violence services left many in danger. This translates to over 500 requests per hour that went unmet due to lack of resources. Can you help me as I try to raise $500 to help end domestic violence? You could make a difference by supporting survivors by giving $50, $25, or even $10. [link to your fundraising page]
For over 25 years, NNEDV has worked to save and change lives, but we cannot stop fighting for safety and equality. The need for NNEDV’s advocacy has intensified with recent threats to cut funding to life-saving services for survivors.
Right now, it is crucial that we take a stand against domestic violence. I am supporting peace and safety by raising money for NNEDV. Please give what you can – it’s so easy, and you can make a difference! Visit my fundraising page here: [link to your fundraising page]
Thanks for supporting me (and this important cause)!
P.S. NNEDV is a 501(c)3 non-profit, so all donations are tax-deductible! [link to your fundraising page]
Can I use one of NNEDV’s graphics to promote my fundraiser?
Of course! Please feel free to use one of our graphics to help tell your story. Visit our Pinterest board to download now: https://www.pinterest.com/nnedv/givennedv-peer-to-peer-fundraising-challenge/
Do I need to thank my friends & family for participating in my fundraiser?
It’s not required, but if you would like to thank your friends and family for helping you meet your fundraising goal, a quick email is an easy way to thank them. You can use our template below if you’re not sure what to say:
Subject: Thanks for helping me meet my goal!
Dear friends and family,
Thank you for joining me in supporting the National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV)! Domestic violence is a national problem and it takes each one of us to help end it. Thank you for joining my fundraising challenge: together, we made a difference.
Thanks again for your donation — and watch for an official receipt from Facebook for your tax-deductible donation.
I appreciate you so much!
P.S. Stay connected with NNEDV here: http://NNEDV.org/SignUp