Bilingual Legal Advocate–DAIS (Domestic Abuse Intervention Services)
Organization: DAIS (Domestic Abuse Intervention Services)
Job Title: Bilingual Legal Advocate
Annual Salary: Starts at $33,280 based on experience
• A Bachelor’s degree is preferred is though relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
• Bilingual fluency in Spanish and English is required.
• Ability to comprehend and analyze legal information, including statutes and the ability to distill information in a way that is
understandable to clients is required.
• Experience working with trauma survivors is strongly preferred.
• Experience in crisis intervention preferred.
• Knowledge of the legal rights of victims and of the civil and criminal legal systems is preferred.
• Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
• Position requires valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, proof of insurance and access to a vehicle during work hours.
The Bilingual Legal Advocate is part of a dedicated team that provides support, information and advocacy to victims of domestic violence as they navigate the legal systems in Dane County. The Bilingual Legal Advocate acts as a Service Representative per WI§ 895.45., is not a lawyer or attorney and does not provide legal advice.
• Engages in the provision of direct services to victims of domestic violence
o Supports clients in a variety of ways, including by phone, email, court and hearing accompaniment, and through face to face interactions.
o Provides information relating to restraining orders, family and criminal court proceedings, and immigration laws.
o Assists clients with safety planning, problem solving, completion of forms, documents and other paperwork for legal
proceedings and hearings.
o Provides clients with information on community resources, service providers and referrals.
• Participates in advocacy, outreach, and organization representation
o Participates in community education efforts as requested
o Provides training on domestic violence issues to professional groups, including law enforcement and other partner agencies.
o Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with community partners
• Advances the work of the Agency in a manner consistent with Organizational Values
o Ensures required service documentation is maintained in a thorough and timely manner.
o Participates in organization grant and contract reporting as needed.
o Adheres to agency policies and work rules.
o Advances knowledge and attends trainings as assigned.
o Provides cross-departmental/functional support and services as needed.
o Maintains professional boundaries.
o Performs other duties as assigned.
Benefits include access to full medical and dental coverage, vision coverage, life insurance, short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, option to participate in a 401(k) plan, and generous paid time off.
Open Date: 2021-07-02
Close Date: 2021-08-16
Instructions: To apply:
The following application materials are required for consideration:
• Cover letter
• A completed DAIS Application for Employment (form can be downloaded from the DAIS website).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications submitted without a cover letter and resume will NOT be considered.
Completed applications may be submitted via email as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
or by U.S. Mail to DAIS, Attn: Human Resources, 2102 Fordem Ave., Madison, WI 53704.
DAIS is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer