Domestic Violence Awareness Month
October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Domestic violence thrives when we are silent; but if we take a stand and work together, we can end domestic violence. Throughout the month of October, help NNEDV to raise awareness about domestic violence and join in our efforts to end violence. Here is what you can do:
- Make a donation to NNEDV in honor of the people in your life who have been impacted by domestic violence.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Google+ to view and share our #31n31 for the month of October. Each day, NNEDV will be sharing a different survivor's story. Some are uplifting, some are heartbreaking; all are true and reflect the broad spectrum of experiences that survivors across the country face every single day. Follow along using #31n31.
- Wear purple -- the color of Domestic Violence Awareness Month -- during the month of October and use this as a way to tell others why ending domestic violence is important to you. Join our national #PurpleThursday thunderclap on October 22!
- Participate in 2015's Week of Action October 19-23, 2015!
- Change your social media profile and cover photos to show that you stand with NNEDV as we remember those who have lost their lives and celebrate those who have survived.
- Join the network behind the Network and become a member of NNEDV! For the first time ever,we have opened our membership to individuals who support our work. When you become a member of NNEDV, you add your voice to the chorus of others speaking out against domestic violence.
- Join NNEDV's book club, Reader with a Cause, on Goodreads! Many of today's most popular books raise issues that are connected to domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking -- creating the perfect opportunity to discus the importance of these issues with our friends, families, and coworkers. Join us as we read and discuss equality, empowerment, and violence against women as it appears in contemporary literature.
- October 2013 was our first-ever action-oriented #31n31 - check out our calendar of the actions that you can take at any time of year to help end domestic violence. (Click to enlarge)
October 19-23, 2015 join NNEDV's Week of Action!
- Monday, October 19 - Talk to a Friend about Domestic Violence
- Tuesday, October 20 - Join our Twitter chat on DV & Housing at 3 PM (EST)
- Wednesday, October 21 - Donate to or Volunteer with NNEDV, your State/Territory Coalition, or Local Program
- Thursday, October 22 - Wear Purple for #PurpleThursday
- Friday, October 23 - Call on Congress for Common-Sense Gun Legislation
October 20-24, 2014 join NNEDV's Week of Action!
- Monday, October 20 - Talk to a Friend about Domestic Violence
- Tuesday, October 21 - Join our Twitter chat on DV & HIV at 3 PM (EST)
- Wednesday, October 22 - Donate to NNEDV, your state/territory coalition, or local program
- Thursday, October 23 - Wear purple for #PurpleThursday
- Friday, October 24 - Call on Congress to increase funding for domestic violence services
In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Abine, Inc., the leading online privacy company, is partnering with NNEDV. Through the end of November, Abine will donate $0.10 to NNEDV for every new install of its free DoNotTrackPlus software, which stops companies, advertising newtorks and social networks from tracking web users' activity.
Domesitc violence impacts one in four women in the United States and costs tax payers billions of dollars every year. Yet less than one percent of company-sponsored foundations currently registered with the Foundation Center even list domestic violence as a field of interest. Read this article by Loribeth Weinstein, Jewish Women International, about "how companies can do right for women and girls."